Home | Swaps
| Fly Box
Hook : Long
Thread : White.
Antennae : White marabou, white Fishhair.
Eyes : White cock hackle.
Legs : Dyed olive cock hackle.
Body : Plastic pearl beadchain.
Weight : Plated dumbbell.
Eggcase : Fluoro orange floss or thread.
Carapace : White chenille.
1) Before place hook in vice use a pair of long nose pliers and
open the hook gape slightly.
2) Tie in thread at hook bend.
3) Tie in a little white marabou.
4) Tie in a little Fishhair. Keep these last two materials sparse.
5) Tie in eyes, keep flared.
6) Tie in chenille.
7) Tie in white cock hackle.
8) Tie in pairs of pearl plastic beadchain along entire top of
hook shank leaving enough space for plated dumbbell at hook eye.
Tie in really close to each other, even if they don't sit perfectly
straight, as this will be addressed later. Do not figure eight
the pairs of beads,. Just a few X wraps to secure to hook shank.
9) Tie in plated dumbbell at hook eye.
10) Take thread back to halfway along hook shank.
11) Palmer cock hackle between the plastic beadchain, two wraps
a section sufficient.
12) Tie off at half way point.
13) Advance white thread to dumbbell.
14) Tie in two bead pairs from dumbbell the Fluoro Orange thread
15) Wrap along the hook shank up to the third pair of beads back
to the first pair of beads from the dumbbell. Wrap this thread/floss
fairly thick, 4,5 or 6 layers. This is the egg cluster so must
a dominant presence, but without overwhelming the fly.
16) A small drop of super glue per bead pair and on the dumbbell
would be warranted for a more durable fly.
17) Pull chenille over flies back, along hook shaft and tie off
chenille in front of dumbbell.
18) Tie off thread
19) Take fly from vice and using gentle pressure from finger
tips bend the hook shank in to a slight curve away from hook
point. Any bead pairs a little close will be separated slightly
and then should lay even along hook shank.
A quick short strip, with long pauses
to allow fly to sink back to bottom butt first. This fly has
a great undulating action on the strip and acts just like the
real thing on the pause swimming tail first to the bottom. The
trigger of the egg case colour in just the right spot also induces
strikes from predators. Placement of weight also helps fly to
ride hook up avoiding snags. When retrieved along the various
Target species include bream, whiting, trevally, flathead. Most
estuary species like a meal of saltwater yabbie.
Yabbie banks - sand or mud bars. Also
great along the edges of weed beds.
Nipper or saltwater yabbie imitation.