fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Best Savage of all time.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> BoatOz Scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old savage marlins always look great done up or converted..but hey i still luv the look of the bert/carib bahia mar's etc.

Pretty sure the marlin was the same hull as the bluefin...dont remember 4 sure. Cant be easy to find one not needing a total subfloor restore tho.
View users profile Send private message
Pelagic Boats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mako 19', Bluefin 20', Marlin 21', Alot of people out there think the Bluefin and the Marlin where the same hull but i know a fiberglasser that layed up a marlin top deck for his Bluefin he was restoring and it had to be cut down to make it fit, for memory the Marlin is 100mm wider as well.

My pick is the Savage Marlin, It would still be one of the best riding hulls around today. I got hold of the molds a few years back with intentions to build one but sold them off due to lack of time, I now have them back, Just need to find a reliable Fiberglasser.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
henry.h

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a savage challenger 19 1/2ft hardtop for a number of years and it was a tuly exceptional blue water vessel,sometimes i think back and wish i had kept it and repowered with a four stroke,i had a johnson 140 2st on it wich was great for power but lacked range unless dragging jerry cans along for the ride would hate to think the cost of a days game fishing at todays fuel prices.
glastronomic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Pelagic Boats wrote:
Mako 19', Bluefin 20', Marlin 21', Alot of people out there think the Bluefin and the Marlin where the same hull but i know a fiberglasser that layed up a marlin top deck for his Bluefin he was restoring and it had to be cut down to make it fit, for memory the Marlin is 100mm wider as well.

My pick is the Savage Marlin, It would still be one of the best riding hulls around today. I got hold of the molds a few years back with intentions to build one but sold them off due to lack of time, I now have them back, Just need to find a reliable Fiberglasser.

The early Bluefin was the length you state but the later ones with the smaller front windows are 21 feet long ,same as the Marlin.
Mine is still sound and original and is from 1978 with the original floor and seat vinyl in great condition.
P.S. Just walked outside and put a measure tape along the boat and from the very back of the actual boat (the alloy Finnish strip) to the front gunnel strip it is 6.45metrs what ever that is in feet.

even the original build in fridge is still going strong.
Would anybody have a list of the serial numbers and build date of these boats?
Pelagic Boats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the Serial no? if so i might be able to decipher it for you.
Freakish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

glastronomic wrote:
Pelagic Boats wrote:

The early Bluefin was the length you state but the later ones with the smaller front windows are 21 feet long ,same as the Marlin.
Mine is still sound and original and is from 1978 with the original floor and seat vinyl in great condition.
P.S. Just walked outside and put a measure tape along the boat and from the very back of the actual boat (the alloy Finnish strip) to the front gunnel strip it is 6.45metrs what ever that is in feet.
even the original build in fridge is still going strong.
Would anybody have a list of the serial numbers and build date of these boats?

I cant remember if its the same, but if pelagic has the molds i reckon he's got the building blocks of one of THE trailerable rigs ever made just sitting there waiting for the right time. They were probably the upper limit of trailer boats and most i've seen before modding had that 165 mercruiser and given a choice i'd rather come home with a sea in one of these than just about any comparable rig made today. They'd stay pointed and had a nice flared bow and 21-22deg deadrise. Could carry a fair old weight on the transom so well suited to today, designed for sterndrives as didnt have big outboards back then, and a redesigned transom/pod maybe with a step thru should carry a 200-225 4stk really well i reckon. The other advantage is they would ride heavy but i dont think they actually were a heavy hull, like say a haines 213c which would weigh lot more but has more weight above gunwhale (and looks almost identical to the bluefin ???)..hmmmm some nice under seat boxes/tanks, no wood panelling, fresh dash...beeewwdiful.
Would definitely choose a hardtop in the marlin and whenever u see one they still look sensational with a lid on.
Some things just need upgrading rather than changing. Myabe they're just fond memories...i guess any rig we remember feeling safe in during weather makes for good memories.
Easy my pick also for best savage.... they just fish WELL.
Pelagic Boats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is differently a Savage Marlin 21, that's why i got it, all molds are complete even a full hardtop mold and floor & stringer molds.
the only thing with it is the hull mold was modified to have huge reverse chins (it didn't work) so i also brought an original marlin hull to use as a plug.
fin101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a hell of a lot of time in a 26 spotsfisherman, great boat, and was one very lucky boat too, we scored some really good fish out of it.
glastronomic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear of the Bluefin with original reverse rakes that do work well.
the boat wil get a full make over when the new engine leg is put in.
I like the (real) teak timbers but the plastic "timbers" will be redone in white plastic 10mm plastic board just like the rear battery doors on the inner transom.

so much neater and keeps the saltwater spray of the batteries and other bits that are hidden behind there.
SG67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is something that makes me feel good when i see old school boats & brochures.
Fishnet Forum Index -> BoatOz Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 3 of 7