login or register

fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Grammar School Lagoon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> Saltwater Scene
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Grammar School Lagoon? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm wanting to start fishing the Grammar School Lagoon as the drive down to the Peninsula is becoming too much work.

I've never fished or launched here, so i've got a few questions.

1. Could I launch my 13ft tinny at the ramp (i've got a 4WD)

2. Where are the places to fish (near the ramp, up near the moorings etc)

Any help would be great...done plenty of fishing at St Leonards but want to explore places closer to home.

Cheers

jfel
'So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems.'- Genesis 1:21
View users profile Send private message
solocan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the entrance you should get a few fish around & in the channel, snapper, whitting, flatties, salmon, snook,tvevally, gars & mullet .You also bet bream around the moorings. Not too sure about the ramp but i launch at St Helens ( $4 fee) & fish along here to the water front or the Geelong Yacht Club & get all the fish mentioned & more.We get alot of small gummies (3-5kg)out in front of the rockwall on the other side of the channel too.Hope this helps.

Sam

Winter sunrise on Corio Bay Geelong.
squid hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate abit late with the reply but
you will be fine to lanch ur tinny from the ramp no need for a 4wd but would be an advantage cause it is quite a shallow ramp the further you could go in the better

i manly fish two spots in the grammer as you drive ur boat in to the grammer the first green floating bouy on ur right has a nice deep hole there!!!
the other spot i fish is between the sand spit and the floating green bouy that lines up with it from this green bouy to the sand spit is a great fishing area and hardy never fails me!! great drop off here that drops from about 1m to about 4m

just have a sound around and you will find nice holes but be careful not to anchor in the channel or the the boat club people there will go off at ya!! also check out Geoff wilsons articles im sure you will find more info in there!!
koorilad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love fishing but are getting sick of making the extra 60-70 km round trip to queenscliff, so my questions are

A) Where is the grammar school lagoon for starters

B) Can you fish it in all wind directions? if not what conditions are best? I have also just got a small tinny.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grammar School lagoon, or limeburner's is located north side of Corio along foreshore rd just off Shell parade - near Geelong grammar...

I fish it fairly regularly in my kayak so conditions don't really factor in as long as your not out in ridiculous levels of wind. If it's blowy off the point i tend to head up the lagoon and play with the salmon, bream and flatties, so there's always an option.
I prefer a southerly but that's just because it's easier to paddle back with a tailwind than into one
GulpAddict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: grammar school Reply with quote

The launching facilities are fine for a small tinny but you may have to get the old hoofers wet. I was out there saturday and got quite a few smaller flathead between 30-35cm but they should increase in size fairly soon and also sounded up a good school of pinkies but only managed a couple to 40cm. The great thing about the Grammar School is that you never know what to expect ,with almost any species available there. At the moment the main problem is the amount of weed in the area. I only fish plastics and it does get annoying. The main channel has some great drop offs and it varies from very shallow to 21ft deep.There are great fish all the way to the yellow buoys too straight out from the ramp. Thats where i got the pinkies saturday. The best wind there would be none but if we dont get our wish you cant go past a north to north west as it comes over the protection of thye cliffs. The tide runs faily quickly there compared to anywhere else around the inner harbour so keep that in mind. It's still fairly quiet at the moment but it should fire up very soon. Good Luck.
Cheers Paul
koorilad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. Some great tips there happy-fish.gif After the post I checked out google maps and found it. Could you fish it in tomorrows wind? 3pm- SE 16km/h. Thats about 8 knots I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

koorilad wrote:
thanks guys. Some great tips there happy-fish.gif After the post I checked out google maps and found it. Could you fish it in tomorrows wind? 3pm- SE 16km/h. Thats about 8 knots I think.

you would be fine mate cool-fish.gif
jfel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm looking forward to trying for some fish a little closer to home.

It's refreshing to have a post which is not about getting up at ungodly hours to chase big reds (not that i'm against that!)
'So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems.'- Genesis 1:21
koorilad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

squid hunter wrote:
koorilad wrote:

you would be fine mate cool-fish.gif

I live in ballarat, so its over an hour away for me. Will it be rough but fishable or just a comfy fish in those conditions, (12 foot tinny)
Page 1 of 2