login or register

fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Eden & Meribula

Fishnet Forum Index -> Saltwater Scene
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schnapperman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Eden & Meribula Reply with quote

Heading to Merimbula for 2 weeks on the 23rd of this month, and was wondering what the fishing will be like around this time.

Hopefully get my first King and maybe a Tuna.

Staying in Merimbula, but will head to Eden on a regular basis, have fished Mowarry Point in the past without luck.

What is the bar at Merimbula like?

Any advice welcome.
kingy1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar at Merimbula isn't to bad, bit narrow but you could just follow one of the other charter boats out. As far as Eden goes, I'd be dropping in to Eden bait and tackle on main st. opposite the pub ask for Michael and he'll tell you weather the kingie are at Morwarry or Greencape. It's a little early water temps will be down a bit, you might need to work a bit to find them.
View users profile Send private message
bradbakerfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge at Merimbula can be a tight squeeze at high tide for larger vessels with high rocket launchers. But the larger percentage of crafts haves no trouble passing underneath.

Total Tackle in Market Street can put you onto the fish.

cheers brad
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
schnapperman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

I figured the water temp maybe a bit low, but will see how we go.
Citizen Kane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a few kings. They are catchable all year round. While the fishing is best during the "season", you'd be surprised at some of the good session that can be had when the water in 12-14 degrees and your the only boat on the water. There were a couple of good runs this winter, where the fishing was actually really good, so you might get lucky. Last time I went out was a couple of weeks ago, the fishing was slow, but we still managed 5 kings up to a meter in a day, which isn't too bad really (had some really sore arms, jigging all day can be pretty tiring)...

This time of year, it can really pay off to slow down a little bit. I've found that the "video" mechanical jigging action, while the go sometimes, is pretty ineffective during winter... Relax a bit and slow it all down and you'll have more success, no need for crazy energy... Plastics are also great during winter and spring, when the fish aren't quite as active a bit of finesse, whether its with jigs or plastics can mean the difference between a great session and nothing... Given I don't use live baits, can't really help you there, but the live baiters have been having a fair bit of success as well.

In terms of spots, haven't fished Greencape this winter, the Kings have been around and catchable at Mowarry, so haven't really seen the point of going any further... Good luck and hopefully you get onto a few... I'll try post a report, heading back this week...
benzeenees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I (well, him actually) caught a 72cm kingfish off Moruya in mid-August. The water temperature was around 17C - warmer than usual. Last week it was back to 15.5C. But Eden is a bit further south.
schnapperman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Citizen Kane wrote:
You should be able to get a few kings. They are catchable all year round. While the fishing is best during the "season", you'd be surprised at some of the good session that can be had when the water in 12-14 degrees and your the only boat on the water. There were a couple of good runs this winter, where the fishing was actually really good, so you might get lucky. Last time I went out was a couple of weeks ago, the fishing was slow, but we still managed 5 kings up to a meter in a day, which isn't too bad really (had some really sore arms, jigging all day can be pretty tiring)...

This time of year, it can really pay off to slow down a little bit. I've found that the "video" mechanical jigging action, while the go sometimes, is pretty ineffective during winter... Relax a bit and slow it all down and you'll have more success, no need for crazy energy... Plastics are also great during winter and spring, when the fish aren't quite as active a bit of finesse, whether its with jigs or plastics can mean the difference between a great session and nothing... Given I don't use live baits, can't really help you there, but the live baiters have been having a fair bit of success as well.

In terms of spots, haven't fished Greencape this winter, the Kings have been around and catchable at Mowarry, so haven't really seen the point of going any further... Good luck and hopefully you get onto a few... I'll try post a report, heading back this week...

Thanks for the CK,

You have now given me some hope of catching my first Kingy.

Will give the jigs ago and also drown some livies.
Citizen Kane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no luck. Eden is pretty shut down at the moment. Water temp has gone from 16 degrees two weeks ago to 12 with no current, so the kings are very quite... As is everything else... We got half a dozen pinkie snapper and some mowwies to save the boat trip but nothing really to speak home about...

That said things can change very quickly, a bit of current or a change in water temp and the fishing (both bottom bouncing and jigging) should improve.

Good luck
Fishnet Forum Index -> Saltwater Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1