login or register

fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Help with spinner baits for cod.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> Lure Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Help with spinner baits for cod. Reply with quote

Hi fellers.
I'm going for my first cod fish and was wandering what are the best spinner baits in, size , colour , and brand(make , model)

Or any other SP's , hard bodies etc.
I'll be fishing out of a kayak flicking in holes near the edge.

Thanks heaps.

BTW what size leader should I use on my 10pnd braid.
Not sure what size the fish are in the area if any.

Thanks.
View users profile Send private message
DougGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a beginner.... which is how it sounds here.... this very basic information will get you going without too much over-thinking.

Im going to assume you'll be buying your spinenrbaits in general stores like BCF, or Kmart.... where the range is limited.

Im of the opinion that often, it really doesnt matter what goes past a cods nose. If its close enough, and theyre aggressive and/or territorial..... they'll hit it.

3/8oz is a good lure weight to start with, unless the water is particularly deep, or flowing hard. If your waterway is flowing faster or is particularly deep, perhaps consider 1/2 or 5/8oz.

Select skirts in a light colour (white, chartreuse), and a dark colour (dark blue, black etc)... this two combinations will cover a range of water clarity, lighting and general visibility options.

When it comes to blades, we can have our preferences, but the general willow/colorado leaf styles work well in a range of situations... and the lures sold in places such as BCF/Kmart etc are often this style.
I prefer gold blades.

Dont bother with stinger hooks or added soft plastic tails.

I use 20lb fluorocarbon leader, and 14lb braid over a 3kg rod... sure, Ive been dusted by a few solid fish, but i've landed a good number of pretty large fish on it too.

Finally, as I said before, get your lure close enough enough, and a cod will hit it. They generally wont move long distances to track down a lure so the longer and slower you fish your spinenrbait close to fish holding structure, the better. Cast it in, let it freefall, being aware it might get hit on the drop... once it bottoms out, lift, and wind down as it falls again.

Fish them s.l.o.w.l.y. but still with enough movement to get the blades vibrating.

And post ophotos of your greenfish (but shhhhh on where it was wink-fish.gif )
Always Remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the manufacturer of the new Mulwala Spinner Baits and it gets as confusing as u want to make it. I have been fishing Spinner Baits for about 10 years and almost exclusively for the past 3 years in Lake Mulwala and the Bidgee,Murray,Edwards,etc. I totally disagree with Doug Grants post(not directly having a go at you Doug just a few points I disagree with in my opinion). If all u have to do is get the lure close to a cod and it will strike it I gather you have never gone fishless Doug. I will not throw a cod Spinner Bait without a soft plastic and stinger hook while fishing out of a watercraft (boat,Kayak) as you will get a few more snags but also a lot more fish as well. As I will be biest about my product as everyone is, all Spinner Baits will catch fish just some are of better quality than others. There are many variables that work at different times and only time on the water can sort these out. Most important thing to tell people when you are seeking help if you know the area you are going to fish is Depth, Current and target species. Most Manufacturers have a PH number on there backing cards or websites and if you know the details I have mentioned they will set u on the right track If you want more info from myself PH 0409712865 after 4:30 pm and before 9:30 and don't feel obligated to buy. Cheers and good luck Jamie.
hoppa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Spinnerbaits Reply with quote

Jamie,

Do you have a website for your spinnerbaits?
Always happy to give a new brand a go, not many out there that are up to scratch, quality wise that is I reckon.

Just about every man and his dog are making them these days, but geez I've seen some $hit ones for sale.

Hoppa
muckawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Always Remember wrote:
I am the manufacturer of the new Mulwala Spinner Baits and it gets as confusing as u want to make it. I have been fishing Spinner Baits for about 10 years and almost exclusively for the past 3 years in Lake Mulwala and the Bidgee,Murray,Edwards,etc. I totally disagree with Doug Grants post(not directly having a go at you Doug just a few points I disagree with in my opinion). If all u have to do is get the lure close to a cod and it will strike it I gather you have never gone fishless Doug. I will not throw a cod Spinner Bait without a soft plastic and stinger hook while fishing out of a watercraft (boat,Kayak) as you will get a few more snags but also a lot more fish as well. As I will be Best about my product as everyone is, all Spinner Baits will catch fish just some are of better quality than others. There are many variables that work at different times and only time on the water can sort these out. Most important thing to tell people when you are seeking help if you know the area you are going to fish is Depth, Current and target species. Most Manufacturers have a PH number on there backing cards or websites and if you know the details I have mentioned they will set u on the right track If you want more info from myself PH 0409712865 after 4:30 pm and before 9:30 and don't feel obligated to buy. Cheers and good luck Jamie.

some points that i try too get across to blokes that assemble spinner baits
they have been around for at least forty years and were made to stop twisting line ,which in-line spinners do
they were made too fish bait ,yabbies,shrimp,worms, grubs.
by putting a treble on the spinner ,your catch about 80% of redfin and yellas on this as the single up turned hook is to short and close too the spinners ,
the single hook is to ridged and allows the fish leverage to throw the hook
the hook catches the top of cods mouth which has poor hooking qualities
fish can take the bait off the hook without getting caught,unless your holding the rod
many plastic taste bad and stop the fish from holding on
when using spin gear you must use a swivel to reduce line twist ,those that don't have a twisted loop are a pain too use as the swivel goes up the spinner arm
the use of a swinging hook gives better holding and hooking ability,they all copy one another so these problems have not been addressed
Doug would you care too add your gripes as these manufactures think they know best ,no offense intended too any other posters,it's my idiot opinion ,before you PM me with your abusive insulting tirade
goodoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using stinger hooks is you can't go completely barbless then --- the first hook has to keep it's barb to keep the stinger on.

For me, the other worries with stinger hooks are increased snagging and awkwardly hooked fish.

I just stick to the main spinnerbait hook in barbless form, usually with a soft plastic on them.

Sure, I must miss the odd cod (and lots of goldens) but it's a lot less to worry about.

Insula Paschae --- fatum humanitatis
muckawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case some there is some misunderstand what i mean by the hook is not back far enough ,as even small cod will take the whole spinner bait
The hook could be on a twisted link and the skirt back behind the spinners
so that when a cod grabs the tail in stead off getting the spinners ,,he gets the hook
If the hook was back 25 mm or a inch on a twisted link so that it's flexible,behind the jig head with the skirt it would act like a stinger hook and be in the same placement as a stinger and would be much more effective..when the spinner blade hits the hook it make a noise ,the closer the spinners too the hook the more effective hook ups are wink-fish.gif
Too answer you question ,i use cheap spinner baits with a twisted loop at the attaching point,copper blades ,black with red tips in coloured water and natural colours in clear water
Murrayman2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t use 10lb braid. 20 minimum, many use 30 or 50.

I use 30 with a 40lb leader.

Caught a 1m+ on a home made spinner, cod smashed it as soon as it hit the water.

Get all sorts, twin arms, mummblers.

They’re all fun.
DougGrant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Always Remember (Jamie).... differences are what get people thinking, so im not offended by different opinions presented well.

I DID state, that my information was for the beginner... someone who stated they were going on their first cod fishing trip....

.... and therefore is likely to be less thinking in as much detail about barometer, water temperature, clarity, depth, current and all of the other factors that more experienced anglers will take into consideration.

I never use stinger hooks, because they affect the inherent snag free nature spinnerbaits were designed for.
I rarely add the additional bulk of a soft plastic to a lure, because I have failth in how i work the lure to give the impression of bulk without actually being bulky.
And I cant recall any fishless days, but I do recall some days significantly better than others.

The most important factor I believe, is to have your lure working properly where the fish are, and that does mean getting it across their nose because generally they wont move long distances to find a lure they can hear out there in the murk somewhere.

I used to be a hardbody fisherman, but havent used one on cod at all since going with blades, which I have made for me in the USA.
quanger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but havent used one on cod at all since going with blades, which I have made for me in the USA.

Any real reason for that Doug? Not being smart, genuinely interested to know confused-fish.gif

www.facebook.com/fishlessfux
View users profile Send private message Send email
Fishnet Forum Index -> Lure Box Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 2