login or register

fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Drum Winches?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> BoatOz Scene
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delete

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Drum Winches? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been looking at drum winches of late with interest and trying to sort out who's who and what's what. Not an easy task!

We have resellers of Chinese made winches, sellers of allegedly Australian made winches, sellers OF Australian made winches, sellers of Australian made winches putting new STICKERS over their existing winch motors to double or near double their alleged power rating and sellers of Chinese winches who have slammed the Chinese product often but now sell them so they can compete.

So lies, hypocrisy and misdirection reign supreme it would seem in the winch market.

So who in the winch market can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that their product is actually what they claim it to be?????

At this stage I am unwilling to name names, as a level playing field/open page on this topic would seem to me to be the most appropriate approach.

Cheers
View users profile Send private message
Dato

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say the australian manufactured drums appear to be more robust in construction and on face value seem to be a better product I have a micks winch and it hasnt had problems, I have previously had a muir without complaint and have looked at both john vansons and x winch and they seem very good if you dont want to pay buy a chinese one and loose the local backup and enjoy
Delete

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Dato wrote:
Sounds alot like rantings of a the competition to me but I can say the australian manufactured drums appear to be more robust in construction and on face value seem to be a better product I have a micks winch and it hasnt had problems, I have previously had a muir without complaint and have looked at both john vansons and x winch and they seem very good if you dont want to pay buy a chinese one and loose the local backup and enjoy

Just interested in delving into who makes what and what labels are on what motors (right or wrong) and who spruiks Australian made and is or is not Australian made, who uses "cheap" Chinese made and who uses "not cheap" Chinese made etc etc

Surely my request is akin to a "Choice Magazine" reveal all?

Only those with things to hide need worry. Is that a pretty fair assumption??

I'm fairly sure the winch buyers out there would want to know if companies are doubling their winch motor capacities with a sticker and if companies knock the Chinese product but offer it as a "quality" sideline to their Aussie built product.

Here is the forum for all winch manufacturers to post up their provable information!! This is a positive for all winch buyers out there.

Cheers
Julian1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i see Richo's making Winch's now too and like his Ally trailers they look all quality wink-fish.gif

Julian
Peter35

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a drum winch, the stainless drum itself was definitely made locally, I had a look at the components being made. Motor/gearbox assembly made in Italy (if not, a very good job done of faking it) the same type I am told as used by Stressfree.

Cant comment on other winches for sale around town, but there is a big price difference so obviously the wholesale/component costs must vary a lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Julian1 wrote:
also i see Richo's making Winch's now too and like his Ally trailers they look all quality wink-fish.gif

Got any info mate? Post it up. After all, its a thread about drum winches in general. Good, bad, whatever

Last edited by Delete on Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
Delete

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Peter35 wrote:
I used to have a drum winch, the stainless drum itself was definitely made locally, I had a look at the components being made. Motor/gearbox assembly made in Italy (if not, a very good job done of faking it) the same type I am told as used by Stressfree.

Cant comment on other winches for sale around town, but there is a big price difference so obviously the wholesale/component costs must vary a lot.

It's probably not so much differing component costs but rather profit expectations. Particularly when one manufacturer has just recently increased the power of their winch motors by changing the sticker on the winch. Almost 100% increase in alleged motor power. That's a radical move!

Also, why are drum winches the price they are?
Peter35

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, I guess there are no specific standards after all.

Why so expensive? I dont think they're over the top to be honest, small volume custom made ...?? What other things do you get for a boat for $1500 - $2000 or thereabouts ....

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

??? confused-fish.gif whatever

Irrespective its a good topic, I've also notices there is a big range of prices for drum winches so would be interested to know if there's also a big range of quality out there, and perhaps there ARE cheap chinese crap hitting the market. I'm sure that's something boaters/fishos would like to know, otherwise how do you tell if you're getting a good deal or a crap winch?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for the one brand, Quality marines Little Annie winch.
I have had 3 of them now and they get used 2-3 times a week and never had any issues what so ever thats why I brought the 2nd and 3rd ones and will be a 4th on next boat.
Local made 10 min from me and John is great to deal with so no need to look anywhere else.
I am sure the other local brands like Xwinch and Micks are good too but if I find a product that dont fail, I stay loyal to it.

If delete is here stir the pot, then go elsewhere but if not then good post

Remember
Its Gotta Be Red
Peter
Fishnet Forum Index -> BoatOz Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 5