Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:03 am Post subject: Igition on
Will leaving the ignition switch on for long periods while fishing do any harm to the motor. I have a 150 Yamaha. I want to run a fridge and the lighter sockets only power up with the ignition switched on. I will eventually hard wire it. I have dual batteries so starting isnt an issue.
Drafty, yeah it can, a few bad things is your hour meter will tick over and give you a false engine time reading.
And your coils will be energised and draining the battery pretty quickly.
But really any Cigarette lighter should be hooked straight up to the battery, cause they can short out easily when the metal nut holding it all together comes loose and falls on the pos, and neg wire.
Had that happen in me car. The wiring loome caught fire I did 8 hours on it fixed some and couldn't stand working on me head any more.
So 700 bucks damage and 5 days to fix from a Auto leccy on top.
By the way the fuse only melted, didn't blow, and all up took less than a 2 minutes for me to disconect the battery. As turning the ignition off made no differance, to it melting every wire under me dash.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum