fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Boat hits channel marker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> FishOz Scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorisK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a focasable marine Roo Lite and mounted it on a RAM mount on the windscreen railing and it lives there permanently. Also have a handheld spotlight as back up in the boat. The one on the RAM mount can be swivelled in any direction. Those guys wingeing about others without lights need to look at themselves too. Do you have sufficient lights to compensate for unlit objects. Around here there is plenty. I will try get a pic later
stuckatswansea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that your on the mend Jamie. I was putting my money on it being a tourist because with the amount of Vic registered boat trailers I've seen lately I didn't think there was any locals still down there. laughing-fish.gif

Cheers,
Anthony.
View users profile Send private message
BorisK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure you can get coloured lenses for it.
frozenpod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

fishnut77 wrote:
Frozenpond-both my mate and myself are now seriously looking at fitting effective spotlights to our 6.2m boats.I've tried a variety of spotlights to date on my boat and have yet to locate a suitable one that has the necesary penetration and beam width to give sufficient warning of an upcoming hazard.There are also the issues of the beam moving around too much in any sort of a sea and in smaller (open) craft particularly the issue of night blindness caused by the rearward glare/reflection a big spotlight causes.To my knowledge a spotlight is not mandatory on recreational craft and I presume the thinking is that anything that constitutes a hazard on the water should have appropriate lighting (except it seems yachting bouys and some "non critical" channel markers).I have to date carried a hand held spotty to use to identify markers and the like but prefer to maintain good night vision by eliminating all uneccasary peripheral lighting (even turning down gps and sounder backlights) so I can see other boats' nav and anchor lights well in advance of approaching them.
If anyone can recommended a fixed spotty I should consider I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers Andy.

No single answer to every situation but if you cant see you cant go. There are plenty of hazards which have zero illumination and require you to see them.

Some of the local pro boats have lights mounted on the bow rail up the front and they use the lights as if they were car headlights.

On a full moon on a very clear night the spot light stays off most of the time and I use night vision but most of the time at least down here that doesn't happen and if it is foggy/cloudy and I need a spot light other wise I can see 5m let alone enough to drive.

Yes reflections are a big problem and the best solution I have seen was the remote control spot light mounted under the bow sprit no reflections, pics on ausfish. But that would probably last 15 minutes with a 15 knot breeze before being ripped off in corner inlet.
fish newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

firecat150hp wrote:
All the best Jammie to you and your skipper. And let me add a little story.

About 5years ago, whilst heading out to P2(PPB anglers can relate) I side swiped the the cardinal marker pile out off Altona. Unlit, new moon, black as a dogs guts. NO GPS. Have been out there a 100 times plus a few. I could see what I thought was P2 flashing and headed straight for it. 1st error. Turns out the yellow flasher was at the end of a Pro net, no more than 3klm`s from the ramp. 2nd error I didnt look in the right directin or at my compass. 3rd error i was flat out,WOT!!! then "WACK" Im on my back and Scuffing the post (only clip on my lanyard on my own) dead stop!! ,no damage to my baby Yalta or me. Picked up myself and headed back in. Sat in the car for along time and went straight to the boat shop and purchased my first GPS..Garman 126.. went back out and after reading the book anchored next to it 'I marked it, Now its painted with the yellow stripe; then it was a black pole. If I was in my cat I think I`d be dead as?? And many Fisho`s have attempted to tie lights to this mark only for the MSB to remove them asap.

Regards to you Jammie and return to fishing soon.
And to Jimmy and Nev thats why I went off Fishing for a while.

steve

Thats exactly right, that pole is a death trap, never understood why it doesn't have a light on the end of it.

Every time we head out before first light its a nervous trip until one of us spots it off to the side, been a few times when we have only missed it by 10 or so meteres.
headshot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished from Maltona for over 30 years Learnt 1 thing thats throtle control
Boats no lights/ Cardinal markers no lights, and dick h#ads that need to do 30knots in pitch black
jimking50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Guys..The original post was almost 5 years ago now...time flys!!!
Was suprised to see it come up again.

Life jackets worn at the time were rip cord..so in a bit of strife if we had gone all the way under.

Marine Safety Vic have only recently finished their investigation (4 and a half years later) and I have to apply for findings under the freedom of info act. confused-fish.gif
Case also due in court in the next cpl months

Jamie
fisherhawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taqken that long to get to court wow ! seems like a long time , i know i was on a jury on a case that started in 02 and it was 09 i think when it was finished [jury only needed in last bit of it thankfully not all the 7 yrs
porkster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Coillision Reply with quote

Jamie
just for interest sake, who was chargd and what with?
glad to hear you have made it through all the tribulations if not trials
cheers
Phil
fishnut77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote (On a similar note,a mate of mine hit an unlit yachting bouy in PPB on Friday night damaging his boat and scaring the beejesus out of the crew (including a young child onboard).I've come close to hitting unlit (and unmarked on gps maps) yachting boys myself at night even with two people on watch.Surely in this day and age, a solar powered and activated light of some description could be made mandatory for ALL boating hazards on the water.I know they will need maintenance etc,etc but surely the cost far outways the potential hazards they create,particularly to smaller craft.Curious to hear others' thinking on the pros and cons of making them law and what goes on in other parts of the world. )

**Breaking News**

As a result of my mates collision with the yachting bouy and subsequent discussions, Brighton YC have committed to replacing all their unlit bouys with solar powered flashing units by this june and having the positions included on all future gps maps.I'm told Parks Victoria are monitoring how these new bouys go with a view to rolling them out throughout ppb and wp.

Cheers Andy
Fishnet Forum Index -> FishOz Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 4 of 5