Boat hits channel marker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Fishnet Forum Index -> FishOz Scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimking50

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

It will be a long road to full recovery for me anyway.

I think its fair to say that neither of us saw the marker...cause then we might have stopped!! wink-fish.gif wink-fish.gif

And the only sign the marker had of being hit 2 hours later was some white fibreglass on a crossbeam....We had a mate head out an hour after us and he wasn't sure whay happened but soon recognised the boat hull on the way past. After finding out we were still alive he took a fair few interesting photos!!

Jamie
View users profile Send private message
Fishless Trev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, stupid me, shoulda said "did any of u see marker at last second" laughing-fish.gif
firecat150hp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best Jammie to you and your skipper. And let me add a little story.

About 5years ago, whilst heading out to P2(PPB anglers can relate) I side swiped the the cardinal marker pile out off Altona. Unlit, new moon, black as a dogs guts. NO GPS. Have been out there a 100 times plus a few. I could see what I thought was P2 flashing and headed straight for it. 1st error. Turns out the yellow flasher was at the end of a Pro net, no more than 3klm`s from the ramp. 2nd error I didnt look in the right directin or at my compass. 3rd error i was flat out,WOT!!! then "WACK" Im on my back and Scuffing the post (only clip on my lanyard on my own) dead stop!! ,no damage to my baby Yalta or me. Picked up myself and headed back in. Sat in the car for along time and went straight to the boat shop and purchased my first GPS..Garman 126.. went back out and after reading the book anchored next to it 'I marked it, Now its painted with the yellow stripe; then it was a black pole. If I was in my cat I think I`d be dead as?? And many Fisho`s have attempted to tie lights to this mark only for the MSB to remove them asap.

Regards to you Jammie and return to fishing soon.
And to Jimmy and Nev thats why I went off Fishing for a while.

steve
Bite Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Jamie.
I thought it may have been a Fishnet member when I saw it on TV, as most Fishnetter's seem to be from Melbourne region.
I'm sure you'll get no negative feedback from any experienced boaties as we've all got our horror stories from near misses at night.
We all hope you both have a speedy recovery & the insurers don't give you their usual grief. They can give you more pain than the actual crash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note,a mate of mine hit an unlit yachting bouy in PPB on Friday night damaging his boat and scaring the beejesus out of the crew (including a young child onboard).I've come close to hitting unlit (and unmarked on gps maps) yachting boys myself at night even with two people on watch.Surely in this day and age, a solar powered and activated light of some description could be made mandatory for ALL boating hazards on the water.I know they will need maintenance etc,etc but surely the cost far outways the potential hazards they create,particularly to smaller craft.Curious to hear others' thinking on the pros and cons of making them law and what goes on in other parts of the world.
Cheers Andy.
headshot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is with the idiots from Maltona ramp with no lights
Counted 8 friday and 2 of these were in what would be posibly the main track out to Stkilda
Somehow i dont think MR Plod get's out of bed to early
Good to see the Geelong boys are ok though get well soon
frozenpod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to ask were they using a spotlight ect to see what was in front of them.
Jackson Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you are able to tell the tale, just a question re the lifejackets you had on, were they the foam ones or the blow up canister ones? only thinking that if they were not the auto inflate ones and you were both knocked out, then there would be no chance of pulling the cord and activating the compressed air.
Stories like this make me think about either paying the extra and getting the auto inflate models or sticking to the bulky foam ones.

Cheers,
Jacko
fishnut77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozenpond-both my mate and myself are now seriously looking at fitting effective spotlights to our 6.2m boats.I've tried a variety of spotlights to date on my boat and have yet to locate a suitable one that has the necesary penetration and beam width to give sufficient warning of an upcoming hazard.There are also the issues of the beam moving around too much in any sort of a sea and in smaller (open) craft particularly the issue of night blindness caused by the rearward glare/reflection a big spotlight causes.To my knowledge a spotlight is not mandatory on recreational craft and I presume the thinking is that anything that constitutes a hazard on the water should have appropriate lighting (except it seems yachting bouys and some "non critical" channel markers).I have to date carried a hand held spotty to use to identify markers and the like but prefer to maintain good night vision by eliminating all uneccasary peripheral lighting (even turning down gps and sounder backlights) so I can see other boats' nav and anchor lights well in advance of approaching them.
If anyone can recommended a fixed spotty I should consider I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Jacko-good point re water activated jackets.I had a manual inflation jacket until today when I swapped it for a water activated one.I'm not getting any younger and all you need is a dizzy spell or an experience like my mates to potentially end up in the drink unexpectedly and possibly unconcious.You just can't be too cautious on the water.I echo many others advice about slowing down to suit the conditions,especially at night.Something as simple as a submerged log post heavy rain or similar flotsam is enough to bring you unstuck and only a reduced impact speed will save your bacon in many cases.I'm sure there's plenty of close call stories out there amongst fishnetters.

Cheers Andy.
sixinchrhino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

fishnut77 wrote:

If anyone can recommended a fixed spotty I should consider I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers Andy.

I'm not sure of their suitability for marine uses but a set of KLightforce Blitz 240's on a 4wd makes night look like day. Cost around $500 for the pair with a HID upgrade kit being around $250-$300. Can purchase different coloured covers for the light requirements (such as yellow covers for fog). They are a sealed unit so I can't imagine them being an issue in a saltwater environment.
Hope that helps

Happy hunting
Ryan
Fishnet Forum Index -> FishOz Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 3 of 5