login or register

fishnet forumsFAQ | Rules | Search
Carp on Flies

Fishnet Forum Index -> Flyfishing Scene
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Carp on Flies Reply with quote

Walking the banks of the Yarra river in Fairfield last weekend and saw a school of at least 100 Carp a metre plus in length, sunning themselves, picking insects off the surface. Does anyone fish for them? They fight like crazy so would be a real challenge on fly.
View users profile Send private message
Ashfish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are on the surface try any of your big fluffy Dry's, I have caught them on Royal Wulfs before too... I find a school like you discribe and just deliver the fly amoungst them, it's only a matter of time before a big pair of rubber lips find it.. laughing-fish.gif then it's game on

If you find them cruzing the bank orange or green wooly buggers work a treat also, position the fly 1 to 2 meters infront of the direction the fish is moving and make small strip retreives of a few cm at a time and if they are in the mood they hit pretty hard.
Good luck
Dory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the one fly i do all my carp damage with at liddell in the hunter valley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know peeps have caught them on bread flies but u would probably have to cast into a burley trail like people do for Milkfish
parrafisherman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lattest "The Fishing DVD" has a section on carp on fly by Peter Morse. Its realy good and explains alot. Should be in most local News Agents.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
bugsplat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

parrafisherman wrote:
the latest "The Fishing DVD" has a section on carp on fly by Peter Morse. Its really good and explains a lot. Should be in most local News Agents.

That section on carp is well worth watching, I've watched it a few times.

I have found a slow twitch and then leave the fly stationary in front of the fish works best in my area.

Dory, that fly is very similar to the one I used yesterday. I lost one fish(and my fly) angry-fish.gif luckily I had one left and caught one fish about 30 cms, not big but at least I didn't blank and learned a lot from the day. laughing-fish.gif

Cheers, Dave.
parrafisherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friends 1st fish on fly. taken on a white calftail bread fly. it was so fat. like it would have weighed 5kg easy because of how fat it was.

<a href="http://tinypic.com" target="_blank">Image and video hosting by TinyPic</a>
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Woolly Bugger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, friends with benefits.

For carp i mostly have used woolly buggers - which i 'spose will come as no great suprise. I use a slow steady strip. For dries i have had success with elkhair caddis patterns (further proof it's the only dry pattern you need!). I don't think it matters too much what fly you use though. If they are feeding off the surface any dry will do, and if they are feeding below the surface a black nymph or any wet will do.

To be honest, my brother and i used to catch them on "M&M coloured, bought in K-mart for $2.50 for a dozen, tied in china by some dude who has no idea what a trout even looks like" wet flies that looked like no fly previously known to man. We also caught them on nymphs made from hair cut from the bum of our mostly dead 15 yo cat. We wanted to prove you could tie a workable fly from anything! We tried casting those nymphs at trout and they'd charge in, get a wiff and and swim for their lives. Carp thought they were yummy.

But often they just won't take anything. They'd just rather eat the @#$& off the bottom. I think that's why they liked our cat bum flies!
Fishnet Forum Index -> Flyfishing Scene Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1